How to effectively manage Jira subtasks
One of the features of Jira is the ability to create subtasks, which are smaller, more manageable tasks that make up a larger task. In this blog post, we will explore why you should use Jira subtasks and the benefits they bring to project management.
Why Use Subtasks in Jira
Improved task organization
Subtasks are like breaking down a big project into smaller, more manageable pieces. It's like turning a complex task into bite-sized chunks that are easier to handle. This helps you keep a close eye on your progress and see what still needs to be done.
Clearer task dependencies
Subtasks help us figure out order. They let us see which tasks depend on each other, so we know what needs to happen first. For example, if you're making a video, you can't edit it until you've shot all the scenes. So, shooting scenes would be a subtask that needs to come before editing.
In simple terms, subtasks help us understand the sequence of tasks in a project, just like you need to build the walls before the roof in a construction project.
Enhanced task tracking
Subtasks offer a way to keep a closer eye on how things are progressing in a project. It's like having a zoomed-in view that shows the smaller details. This means you can see each step of the project more clearly and understand how it's moving forward.
When speaking about Subtasks I have to mention a plugin I personally find really useful, the Subtask Navigation for Jira. It provides a comprehensive view of sibling descriptions and an overview of epic progress, where you can check time tracking of subtasks within your epic.
How to Use Subtasks in Jira Properly for Better Project Management
Define clear parent tasks
Ensure that the parent task is well-defined and has a clear objective
Break down tasks effectively
- Identify the different components or steps required to complete the parent task
- Create subtasks for each component or step, ensuring they are specific, actionable and doable in one day
Set task dependencies
- Determine the dependencies between subtasks and set them accordingly
- Use Jira's linking feature to establish relationships between subtasks
- Assign subtasks to the appropriate team members or individuals.
- Clearly communicate the responsibilities and expectations for each subtask
Monitor progress and update status
- Regularly monitor the progress of subtasks and update their status accordingly
- Use Jira's workflow features to track the progress of subtasks or Subtask Navigation for Jira for epic resolution progress overview
Communicate and collaborate
- Encourage team members to communicate and collaborate on subtasks
- Use Jira's commenting feature to discuss and provide updates on subtasks
If you're looking for more tips and tricks on managing tasks efficiently, check out Mastering Jira Subtasks: A Comprehensive Guide. You can also boost your JIRA experience with our plugin Subtask navigation for Jira, which makes the navigation much faster, no need to navigate back to parent to see siblings or descriptions. Lastly, if you are interested in developing Jira plugin on your own check How Do We Develop Jira Plugins for some inspiration.